On December 7th 1896 at the AFL convention, three men came together and formed the National Union of Steam Engineers. The National Union of Steam Engineers quickly formed locals around the country with the first six being located in Boston, Chicago, Denver, Detroit, Kansas City and St. Louis. In 1927, the National Union of Steam Engineers merged with the International Brotherhood of Steam Shovel and Dredgeman and adopted the name of International Union of Operating Engineers.
In 1937, Local 673 in Jacksonville, Florida was granted a charter. At that time there were nine members, all of which worked at the Jacksonville Shipyards. An office for Local 673 was opened at 111 Bay Street, Jacksonville, Florida. By 1945, with the Local expanding its membership, the office was moved to the Labor Temple at 920 Main Street, Jacksonville, Florida.
Local 673’s first own office was opened in 1963 in Titusville, Florida. Due to all the work created by the Cape Canaveral Missile Complex and the Kennedy Space Center. This office remained open in Titusville for the next four years. In 1965, Local 673 opened an office in Orlando, Florida and in 1981, the Local purchased 2.5 acres of land located at 4510 North Orange Blossom Trail, which is currently our office in Orlando, Florida. In 1987, the Local purchased 5 acres of land at 8366 Devoe Street, Jacksonville, Florida, which is currently our office in Jacksonville, Florida.